Rebecca Black Law's Logo

5 Visas Types That Can Allow Your Spouse to Legally Work in the US.

Are you coming to America as an immigrant along with your partner? In this blog post, we will share with you five Visa types that can allow your spouse to work legally within the United States.

It is important we establish this fact here:  Just because you have legal status to be present in the United States does not automatically mean that you have permission to work.  As an immigrant, you’ll need a work permit, also called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to work in the United States.

So, here is a list of 5 Visa types that can allow your spouse to work legally in the US:

H-1B Visa: 

This kind of visa allows immigrants to work in the US with their “specialty occupations.” A “specialty occupation” is defined as “an occupation that requires (a) theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and (b) attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.” To apply for this kind of visa, you will need a job offer and the requisite skill for that kind of job.  

For a spouse of an H-1B visa holder to legally work in the United States, such a person will need to obtain an H-4 Visa. 

E-1 Visa(Also known as Treaty Trade Visa)

This is a non-immigrant visa for citizens of countries that the US has a treaty of commerce. The visa avails the holder the right to engage in international trade solely on his or her own behalf. If you are an E -1 Visa holder, your spouse will need to fill out Form I-750 to apply for Employment Authorization.

E-2 Visa

This visa is a temporary work visa usually issued to owners and investors in businesses domiciled in the United States. This kind of visa is reserved for  “substantial” investments in the US. The E-2 visa allows you to work for the E-2 company, This does not apply to your spouse who can work for any employer or even be self-employed.

As an E-2 visa holder, your spouse will need to fill out the H-4 Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to seek a work permit to work in the US.  It usually takes 90 days to arrive.

E-3 Visa

The E-3 visa was a result of the Australia–United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA). As the name implies, it affords qualified Australian nationals the right to work within their specialty occupation in the United States. Spouses of a holder of an E-3 visa can work in the United States provided they have a valid H-4 Employment Authorization Document (EAD). 

L-1 Visa

Has business been good and you feel it is time to move your business to the United States? Has fortune smiled at you and your employers want to transfer you to an existing American business? You will likely need an L-1 visa work permit. The visa is available to individuals who work in companies residing outside the United States but who have branches, subsidiaries, affiliates, or joint venture partners in the United States.

So, if you are a spouse of someone who holds an L-1 Visa, you will need to apply for an H-4 Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

If you need help with your work permits, feel free to contact us. Our firm has been proudly representing hard-working immigrants arriving in the United States since 2012.

Obtener ayuda con inmigración

Envíanos un mensaje hoy y nuestro equipo se comunicará contigo.

Generic Contact Form

The content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Readers should not act upon any information presented on this blog without seeking professional legal counsel. The opinions expressed at or through this blog are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney. Please consult with an attorney regarding your specific legal situation.

Table of Contents

Most Popular Posts
Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

No spam, notifications only about new services, updates.

Subscription Form

Related Posts

Different Types of Green Cards in the U.S.

The journey to becoming a permanent resident in the United States is a significant milestone for many individuals and families worldwide. A Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, provides the

K-3 visa for spouses of U.S. citizens

For couples who are separated by international borders, one of the pathways to reunite families is the K-3 visa, designed specifically for spouses of U.S. citizens. This blog post delves