Rebecca Black Law's Logo

Lost Green Card?

Losing your Green Card can be a difficult experience, but don’t panic—there are steps you can take to remedy the situation. As an immigration firm dedicated to assisting individuals with their legal needs, we understand the importance of swift action and clarity in such circumstances. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll outline the necessary steps to take if you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of misplacing your Green Card.

1. Report the Loss Immediately

Time is of the essence. Notify the appropriate authorities as soon as you realize your Green Card is lost or stolen. Contact the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) and file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, providing details about the loss.

2. File a Police Report

If your Green Card was stolen, it’s crucial to file a report with your local police department. This report can serve as evidence and provide necessary documentation during the replacement process.

3. Gather Essential Documents

While applying for a replacement Green Card, gather essential documents such as your passport, birth certificate, any government-issued IDs, and proof of your immigration status.

4. Complete Form I-90

Form I-90, officially known as the “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card,” is a document used by lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) in the United States to apply for a replacement or renewal of their Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) in case it is lost, stolen, damaged, or if there have been changes in personal information (such as name or biographic details). Fill out Form I-90 accurately and provide all necessary information. Include the police report if the card was stolen. Double-check the form for accuracy before submission.

5. Pay the Required Fees

There’s typically a fee associated with replacing a lost Green Card. Ensure that you include the payment along with your application to avoid delays.

6. Follow Up on Your Application

Monitor the progress of your application online through the USCIS website or by contacting their helpline. They often provide updates on processing times and the status of your application.

7. Consider Expedited Processing

In urgent situations, such as imminent travel plans or employment requirements, you might be eligible for expedited processing. Be sure to provide relevant documentation to support your request.

8. Apply for a Travel Document

If you need to travel outside the United States while waiting for your new Green Card, apply for a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. This allows for temporary re-entry into the country.

9. Ensure Address Updates

Keep your contact information updated with USCIS to receive notifications regarding your case. Failure to update your address can lead to missed correspondence and delays.

10. Be Cautious

While awaiting your replacement Green Card, carry alternative identification documents like your passport or driver’s license to avoid any inconvenience due to lack of proper identification.


Losing your Green Card can be stressful, but by taking these steps promptly and accurately, you can navigate through the process of obtaining a replacement. At Rebecca Black Immigration, PA, we understand the complexities of immigration law and are here to guide you through every step of the way. Contact us for personalized assistance and expert advice tailored to your situation.

Remember, each case may have unique circumstances, so it’s essential to consult with legal experts for individualized guidance. Don’t let the loss of your Green Card derail your plans—take action and reclaim your legal status in the United States.

Obtener ayuda con inmigración

Envíanos un mensaje hoy y nuestro equipo se comunicará contigo.

Generic Contact Form

The content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Readers should not act upon any information presented on this blog without seeking professional legal counsel. The opinions expressed at or through this blog are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney. Please consult with an attorney regarding your specific legal situation.

Table of Contents

Most Popular Posts
Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

No spam, notifications only about new services, updates.

Subscription Form

Related Posts

Different Types of Green Cards in the U.S.

The journey to becoming a permanent resident in the United States is a significant milestone for many individuals and families worldwide. A Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, provides the

K-3 visa for spouses of U.S. citizens

For couples who are separated by international borders, one of the pathways to reunite families is the K-3 visa, designed specifically for spouses of U.S. citizens. This blog post delves